Monday, November 28, 2005

Hey hey, only five days between posts this time. I'm hanging in there. I have been so swamped with getting my new site up to make some money that between that, my real day job(which is begging people for overtime since it is the season for sales), looking for a new place to live, another new job in that city, christmas shopping, and organizing and packing to move, I almost forget what my name is.
I have the flu to boot so am feeling a little run down. This season always gets me sick. At least I will get it over and done with before Christmas this way though.
I am selling various ebooks on my new site and would love for you to drop by. We have some health and wealth related books that are a good buy. please drop by and tell all your friends.kadebescatchofgoodies
The following article I thought was a great read and made me think of weight management with a new perspective. Acceptance truly is the key I think.

Intuitive Eating: An 'Anti-Diet' That Works
Copyright 2005 Daily News Central

Stop hating your body, stop counting calories and stop
using food for purposes other than to satisfy hunger, and
you'll be healthier and slimmer. That, in a nutshell, is
the argument in favor of "intuitive eating," or letting
your body tell you when, what and how much to eat.

"The basic premise of intuitive eating is, rather than
manipulate what we eat in terms of prescribed diets -- how
many calories a food has, how many grams of fat, specific
food combinations or anything like that -- we should take
internal cues, try to recognize what our body wants and
then regulate how much we eat based on hunger and satiety,"
says professor of health science Steven Hawks, lead
researcher of an intuitive-eating study at Brigham Young
University.

The findings are reported in the American Journal of Health
Education.

Hawks, who adopted an intuitive-eating lifestyle himself
several years ago and lost 50 pounds as a result, says that
"normal" dieting in the United States doesn't result in
long-term weight loss and contributes to food anxiety and
unhealthy eating practices, and can even lead to eating
disorders.

All Diets Work Against Human Biology

Hawks and colleagues Hala Madanat, Jaylyn Hawks and Ashley
Harris identified a handful of college students who were
naturally intuitive eaters and compared them with other
students who were not. Participants then were tested to
evaluate their health.

As measured by the Intuitive Eating Scale, developed by
Hawks and others to measure the degree to which a person is
an intuitive eater, the researchers found that intuitive
eating correlated significantly with lower body mass index
(BMI), lower triglyceride levels, higher levels of high
density lipoproteins and decreased risk of cardiovascular
disease.

Approximately one-third of the variance in body mass index
was accounted for by intuitive eating scores, while 17 to
19 percent of the variance in blood lipid profiles and
cardiovascular risk was accounted for by intuitive eating.

"The findings provide support for intuitive eating as a
positive approach to healthy weight management," says
Hawks, who plans to do a large-scale study of intuitive
eating across several cultures.

"In less developed countries in Asia, people are primarily
intuitive eaters," notes Hawks.

"They haven't been conditioned to artificially structure
their relationship with food like we have in the United
States. They’ve been conditioned to believe that the
purpose of food is to enjoy, to nurture. You eat when
you're hungry, you stop when you're not hungry any more.
They have a much healthier relationship with food, far
fewer eating disorders, and interestingly, far less
obesity," he points out.

"What makes intuitive eating different from a diet, is that
all diets work against human biology, whereas intuitive
eating teaches people to work with their own biology, to
work with their bodies, to understand their bodies," Hawks
explains.

"Rather than a prescriptive diet, it's really about
increasing awareness and understanding of your body. It's a
nurturing approach to nutrition, health and fitness as
opposed to a regulated, coercive, restrictive approach.
That's why diets fail, and that's why intuitive eating has
a better chance of being successful in the long term," he
maintains.

Two Attitudes, Two Behaviors

To become an intuitive eater, a person has to adopt two
attitudes and two behaviors. The first attitude is body
acceptance.

"It’s an extremely difficult attitude adjustment for many
people to make, but they have to come to a conscious
decision that personal worth is not a function of body
size," says Hawks. "Rather than having an adversarial
relationship with my body, where I have to control it, and
force it to submit to my will so that I can make it thin,
I'm going to value my body because it allows me to
accomplish some higher good with my life."

The second attitude is that dieting is harmful.

"Dieting does not lead to the results that people think it
will lead to, and so I try to help people foster an
anti-dieting attitude," says Hawks. "You have to say to
yourself, 'I will not base my food intake on diet plans,
food-based rules, good and bad foods, all of that kind of
thing.' For people who are deep into dietary restraint and
dietary rules, again, that's a very difficult attitude
adjustment to make, to give up all those rules."

The first behavior is learning how to not eat for
emotional, environmental or social reasons.

"Socially we eat all the time in our culture. We go out to
eat ice cream if we break up with our boyfriend, we eat to
celebrate, we eat when we're lonely, we eat when we're sad,
we eat when we're stressed out," says Hawks. "Being able to
recognize all the emotional, environmental and cultural
relationships we have with food and finding better ways to
manage our emotions is part of the process."

The second behavior is learning how to interpret body
signals, cravings and hunger, and how to respond in a
healthy, positive, nurturing way.

Learning the body's signals can be difficult at first, but
Hawks suggests thinking about hunger and satiety on a
10-point scale, where "10" is eating until one is sick and
"1" is starving.

Intuitive eaters keep themselves at or around a "5." If
they feel they are getting hungry, they eat until they are
back at a "5" or "6." They stop eating when they're
satisfied, even if that means leaving food on the plate.

No Food Is Taboo

One part of intuitive eating that may be counterintuitive
to people conditioned to restrictive dieting is the concept
that with intuitive eating there is a place for every food.
In other words, there is no food that's ever taboo. There's
no food you can't ever have.

"Part of adopting an anti-dieting attitude is the
recognition that you have unconditional permission to eat
any kind of food that you want," says Hawks. "And that's
scary for people who say, 'If I abandon my diet rules, then
I'll fill a pillowcase full of M&M's, dive into it and
never come up again. That's what I crave, I know that's
what I crave, that's all I will always crave.' But that’s
not the reality. The reality is that our bodies crave good
nutrition."

It is dieting that creates psychological and physiological
urges to binge on taboo foods. While people may experience
some binges when they first start eating intuitively, they
eventually will learn to trust themselves and that behavior
will disappear, Hawks maintains.

One technique he suggests is having an abundance of
previously taboo foods on hand. Once the foods are no
longer forbidden, a person quickly loses interest in them.

"If people are committed to recognizing what their bodies
really want, the vast majority of people will say that they
very quickly overcame cravings," Hawks says, opening an
office desk drawer filled with untouched junk food. "It
certainly has worked for me."


----------------------------------------------------
Rita Jenkins is a health journalist for Daily News Central,
an online publication that delivers breaking news and
reliable health information to consumers, healthcare
providers and industry professionals:
http://www.dailynewscentral.com



www.ulosefast.com

Learn how to lose those unwanted pounds and look and feel great


"Learn What "All Natural" Weight Loss Supplement World Medallist Swimmer, Paul Callis, Swears By - And Learn How You Too Can Experience Almost Immediate And Permanent Weight Loss Results!"

Find the Perfect Holiday Gift at Amazon.com Gift Central






Mesothelioma
Mesothelioma

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi kadebescorner your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on jobs in massage therapy I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about jobs in massage therapy. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW kadebescorner. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on texas massage therapy. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as texas massage therapy I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at texas massage therapy. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about jobs in massage therapy. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on jobs in massage therapy and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog kadebescorner and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. kadebescorner I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on denver massage therapy and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to denver massage therapy. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW kadebescorner. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on massage therapy clinics. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as massage therapy clinics I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at massage therapy clinics. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog kadebescorner. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for juvenile diabetes related information and found your site. I have a juvenile diabetes site. It covers everything about diabetes care, complications, treatment and insulin. You'll find it very informative. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. kadebescorner I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on new jersey massage therapy schools and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to new jersey massage therapy schools . I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding massage therapy clinics and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) kadebescorner your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on massage therapy clinics was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for massage therapy clinics for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at massage therapy clinics. You never know you may find some good deals!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog you've got here kadebescorner, I was looking for insulin shock related information and found your site. I have a insulin shock site. It covers everything about diabetes care, complications, treatment and insulin. You'll find it very informative. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog kadebescorner. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of in massage therapy and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on in massage therapy . Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on massage therapy boston. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though your blog really isn�t on the same page as massage therapy boston I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at http://www.massage-therapy-information.com. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great job on the blog, I really like it and look forward to some more awesome postings. I have a website you might like


free weight loss

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fasting can make you look much thinner in only a couple of days. You may not lose a significant amount of weight, but it will look like you have. It can make your waist noticeable thinner and clean up blemishes or skin problems.
Link to this site. lose weight

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I don't think you can use fasting as a diet or weight loss program, I do feel that it can be a great start to a proper weight loss diet and exercise program. I think it is definitely something that everyone should do at least once a year.
Link to this site. weight loss vitamin supplement

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. 2006 challenge loss weight

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit i like this blog perfectly made blog !

Take care
Mesothelioma Symptoms

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Signature

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home